Re: Announcing CUkiller

Halvor Kise jr. (halvork@hiof.no)
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 13:05:45 +0200 (MET DST)

Jason,

Thanks for your long respond to my announcement. It gave me some new
ideas for my next version.

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Jason Williams wrote:
> control things. It appears CUkiller just uses the kill command on the
> reflector. That's fine, but it doesn't offer a more permanent solution
> for the true problem users (and I have seen some real losers that qualify
> for that).

Well, your scanner and my CUkiller use passwords that we give to the few
persons that we trust. The monitors does a great job monitoring my
reflector and the truth is that the reflector had not been up&going if it
was not for my great monitors.
But it happens that two monitors cant stand eachother, so they start a
killwar! I would rather have a killwar between two monitors and have to
settle it between them than give them the power to deny a whole network.
It is up to me to decide who is allowed to connect or not. The price I
pay for that is that a domain is denied when I read mail. (just 12 hours
a day :-)

> There's a lot of problems with the Cornell reflectors. One of the main
> ones though is that there isn't a lot of remote configuration available
> while the reflector is running. Specifically, you can't deny/allow
> addresses without modifying the config file, and recycling the reflector.

Recycling the reflector by scripts is so quick that the users dont even
notice it.
And the source code to the Cornell reflector is available, so I can fix
bugs in the code myself and program my own features.

- Halvor.

--
                          *** MEMENTO MORI ***

PGP-key by fingering halvork@frodo.hiof.no http://www.hiof.no/~halvork/