Re: CU-SeeMe Gray Codec and the Connectix Color QuickCam

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 08:59:52 -0500

At 02:17 PM 8/26/97 -0500, Jason Williams wrote:
>On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Jay Schuster wrote:
>> Oddness: Under Windows 3.1, I could never get the *color* codec to
>> work -- I always had to use CU-SeeMe Grey Codec. Using the color codec
>> would give me a psychedelic local video window. Now, under Windows 95,
>> the color codec works perfectly, but I can not use the CU-SeeMe Grey
>> Codec -- I just get a blank, grey, local video screen.

I bet he was running 16 colors on win 3.1 and when he installed win95 it
got changed to 256 colors.

>My only guess is that it's some sort of palette problem running at 256
>colors. Make sure you're running at least 16-bit color to avoid the
>problems with the palette. Also make sure you have your video capture
>device is set to the right format (use the Video Format preference). I
>have to have my tv/cap card set to 15-bit RGB for it to work right using
>the Cornell CU-SeeMe Gray codec.

That should also help with CUDOODLE since it also has palette problems with
256 colors. I'd like to use CUDOODLE at times, but if I use more than 256
colors then my CLIPMATE captures are 64k or 16m color BMP files. Do you
know of any utility that can convert them to jpg correctly?