Re: Some problems with NT4.0

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Tue, 04 Aug 1998 01:34:21 -0500

At 09:03 PM 8/3/98 +0100, Steve Waterworth wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I am a bit new to this and I am having a few problems.
>
>Set up is...
>Intel NT4.0 SP3
>Connectix QuickCam VC
>CU-SeeMe 1.0
>
>Problem 1)
>My local video window is in negative.

Click on view/prefs/video, then on video format. Make sure it's set to 16
shades of grey, not 64.

>Problem 2)
>I have tried to connect to various reflectors and after a pause all I get
>is a dialog box saying "Unable to connect to ???????"

Regarding your ethernet card with TCP enabled: If you don't HAVE to use
TCP on that card, then remove it. If you MUST use TCP on the ethernet
card, then use that instead of the dialup for CU (unless you have an jerk
of a firewall admin who won't open the correct ports).

If you can't do either of these two things, here's what someone else sent
to me a while back:

>1. before starting cu-seeme connect the dial-up and note the IP address
>using dial up network monitor/summary/details.
>
>2. Go to control panel/network/protocols/tcp/ip protocol/properties and
>change the specified IP address (of your network adaptor) to the dial-up IP
>address, press the APPLY button.
>
>3. Start CU-seeme v92b2, it should get the dial-up IP address, DO NOT
>ATTEMPT A CONNECTION

>and exit with OK.
>
>Now you can run until you have to re-start CU-seeme, or the connection
>breaks and you have to dial in and get a different IP address.

Also a while back, Brian Godette said this in relation to a somewhat
related problem:

>> When I try to connect I get "Your IP Address is incorrect, restart
>>CU-SeeMe" from the reflector. I have put my IP address in the HOSTS file.
>>For ex., xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx username
>
>This is a message that's generated by ERefs if your CU client has a
>different IP address than the physical interface the packets originate
>from, this usually only happens on systems with more than one IP interface
>defined (Ethernet & PPP). To fix which IP is picked you need to remove
>dial-up networking, reboot, and reinstall dial-up networking, it will then
>use the IP from the PPP session as the default IP when you're connected to
>your ISP.

Bill Woodland (Squeek ) PC questions only, please.
OverLord Reflector Manager at http://topdeals.com/overlord
Cornell version 1.0 users guide at http://topdeals.com/cu
Cornell help pages at http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW