Re: Tech Spec for cu-seeme..

Fri, 7 Aug 1998 18:11:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998 arni@caip.rutgers.edu wrote:
> I am looking for techincal paper on Cu-seeme for :
>
> 1. H323 compliance..
> 2. Does it use RTP/RTCP..multicast etc..

Seeing as how the CU-SeeMe format is proprietary and there aren't any
official RFCs on it, technical documentation on it is rather limited.
White Pine hasn't provided a Software Developer's Kit (SDK) for their 3.0
version as they stated to some people in the past, so you're pretty much
limited to the limited Cornell technical documents located at
http://topdeals.com/cu-seeme/contents.html.

The Cornell version isn't H.323 compliant and doesn't use RTP/RTCP...but
it does use multicast to link reflectors.

The White Pine is partially H.323 compliant. If you use the client to
connect to MPCS servers, it can connect to other H.323 clients.
Otherwise, it doesn't. It also uses RTP (not sure about RTCP but I would
imagine so..from what I know of RTP, it's rather pointless without RTCP
unless it has another means of monitoring the status of the streams). RTP
is used in DCs with other 3.X clients as well as connections to MPCS
servers. It allows for multicast links between reflectors as well as
multicast connections from other White Pine multicast-capable clients.

I know it's not a technical document...but it's better than nothing. :)