The Cornell v1.0 Dillema

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:34:58 -0500

Just to refresh your memories, here is Martyne's last message to us about
the PC version of CU-SeeMe:

>Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 11:30:38 -0400 (EDT)
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Martyne Hallgren <martyne@nr-atp.cit.cornell.edu>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Official News from Cornell
>
>Hello from Cornell!
>
>Here's the *official* news from Cornell concerning CU-SeeMe(tm) - this is a
>pre-announcement as we do not have a specific date for the actual release
>as yet, but are working hard on it as we speak.
>
>First my apologies for the delay in posting. I am extremely busy
>as this is not the only project for which I'm responsible but one
>of many.
>
>We will be releasing an official new Cornell version for both MAC and PC
>sometime soon. This is the code that was worked on by the former ATP
>folks. The most frequently asked question about the new release concerns
>color - yes, both versions will support color. We will be collecting bug
>reports from the community and will be issuing bug fixes as we get them
>done. The software will be made available via the Cornell FTP server and
>web site, as per usual. The formal announcement will be issued over the
>announce list, also as per usual, so keep your eyes peeled for it.
>
>Contrary to a lot of the rumors on the list, there are no issues between
>White Pine and Cornell. Quite the opposite actually. White Pine is
>committed to the CU Community just as much as we are and is working to
>ensure that it not only thrives, but grows as well. Cornell and White Pine
>have been and are working together very closely during this transitory
>period. Not true is the rumor of White Pine putting a wet blanket on the
>1.0 release nor stifling it. There are technical issues with
>version 1.0 that need to be addressed and we have been working together to
>ensure compatibility etc, thus the delay.
>
>I hope this helps clear things up! We're looking forward to the pending
official
>release and your feedback on it! We do listen to your concerns and issues
>but unfortunately can't not respond to all of them.
>
>Best ever,
>Martyne
>
>--------------------------------------- ------------------
>Martyne M. Hallgren martyne@cornell.edu
>Assistant Director Tel: 607 255-5421
>Technology and Service Evaluation and Development (TSED)
>Cornell Information Technologies Fax: 607 255-9086

I called her yesterday and asked her about the status. She said "It's
fourth on my list". I asked her if there was any plan to have Steve Edgar
work on the known bugs, and she said she had been in touch with him. I
said if she could just take a minute to call him and ask him to work on the
code, that I was sure he would love to do so. She said she was "working
something out with him", and something to the effect that she would have to
stop sleeping in order to get this taken care of.

As both Streak and I have mentioned several times, Steve has made a
standing offer to Cornell to do development/release work on version 1.0 for
free, to facilitate the announced release. Since Steve no longer works at
Cornell, Cornell wants to supply an agreement simply stating Cornell
retains the rights to any development work that Steve might do on CU-SeeMe.

I then called Steve, who said he hasn't heard anything in over 6 weeks, and
also hasn't received an agreement to sign from Cornell. Without a release
timeline from Cornell, Steve is reluctant to do any CU-SeeMe development
work, as he realizes there is the possibility Cornell could postpone the
announced release forever.

Steve also mentioned he was recently notified by the Cornell Research
Foundation that the processing of his source code license, which he applied
for back in May, has been stopped. Surprised at this, he has made phone
and e-mail inquiries to Martyne, but they have gone unanswered.

Clearly, this means the "(we) are working hard on it as we speak" isn't true.

It is likely that little effort is needed on Cornell's behalf to make a
release, as Steve and Andy (the Mac developer) have offered to do all
needed development/release work.

At this point, despite the announcement from Martyne, one has to wonder if
the official release will ever happen at all. Postponing the release
indefinitely has the same effect as killing it outright.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we might be able to encourage the
"announced release" to actually happen?

Bill Woodland (Squeek ) PC questions only, please.
OverLord Reflector Manager at http://topdeals.com/overlord
Cornell version 1.0 users guide at http://topdeals.com/cu
Cornell help pages at http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW
"Bugs Bunny is funnier on morphine than it is on demerol" JokerX39