Re: Nekkid Cam Video?

Bill Woodland (gannonr@apk.net)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:56:41 -0400 (EDT)

I have not seen the camera so I don't know for sure what the filter is.

I suspect that the special mode involves removing the infrared blocking filter
and replacing it with an infrared pass filter. All digital cameras and
camcorders have an IR blocking filter (or IR blocking coatings on the optics)
because infrared and visable light focus at different distances. The image would
be fuzzy if both were allowed to hit the CCD sensor at the same time.

Infrared film for 35mm cameras has been commonly available for a lot of years. I
find it difficult to believe that it would not have been exploited to take
'nude' pictures of clothed people in all this time. The results would almost
certainly have showed up on usenet news.

The local evening news ran a story about the Sony camera last night and
supposedly bought one of the cameras. They said it does work but didn't show any
footage.

I'm poping the IR filter out of my B&W QuickCam to see for mysef how well this
works. I will of course report the results of these tests to the list ;>