Re: The Cornell v1.0 Dillema

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:32:49 -0500

At 06:59 AM 8/13/98 -0500, Jason Williams wrote:
>This is rather odd...I assume Steve wanted the distribution license..not
>the limited use license that Cornell provides. If so, it would probably
>have to go thru White Pine. White Pine, as far as I know, hasn't approved
>ANY noncommercial distribution licenses. I know of at least one person
>that's tried. I wonder why the processing stopped. He might have hid a
>road block when it hit White Pine's desk (if it was a distributions
>license).

Check this page: http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/license.html

The license Steve had applied for back in April was this one:

(a) Restricted Internal Use Only License Agreement - This agreement, from
Cornell University, authorizes the use of the Cornell source code for
experimentation and research. No redistribution rights are provided. Please
refer to the specific license for a complete statement of rights and
restrictions.

Examples of activities that are permitted under this license are:

A university graduate student doing a masters thesis on video
conferencing,
An R&D lab within a corporation deciding if CU-SeeMe can fit into
the
technology strategy for the company,
A product development group determining if it can or wants to
develop an
enhancement that would eventually be commercialized,

Examples of activities that are not permitted under this license:

Studying the algorithms for the intent of improving own
locally-developed
competing end-user software,
Making a modified version and using the modified version
internally for normal
production or business purposes beyond research.

Bill Woodland (Squeek ) PC questions only, please.
OverLord Reflector Manager at http://topdeals.com/overlord
Cornell version 1.0 users guide at http://topdeals.com/cu
Cornell help pages at http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW
"Bugs Bunny is funnier on morphine than it is on demerol" JokerX39