Re: CUSM and VDIGs, source code, niches available??!?

Michael Sattler, San Francisco (EST)
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 12:51:53 -0500

At 02:07 12/6/94, A.J.McLeod@rea0805.wins.icl.co.uk wrote:
>Michael Sattler <msattler@jungle.com> wrote:
>
>I had already tried this and got a message (like) found a VDIG but couldn't
>digitize.

I *believe* this means that the vdig you're using doesn't play fair, but I
really have no concrete reason for that belief. In short, I believe it
means you're schrod for the time being.

>I can't disagree with the priorities of functionality first, porting second
>- its a pity that they have chosen to spend time on a second platform i.e.
>PC ;-)

Everyone knows I have no opinion about this :-)

>I hope that there may emerge a real or virtual group of competent
>hackers who would like to take the source and concentrate on proliferation
>and polish (the Netscape of the CUSM world). CUSM (and Maven) deserves the
>widest possible exposure as it delivers uniquely useful functionality. Not
>wishing to knock the specific supplier but I have found CUSM to be MUCH
>better than a commercial Mac VC product I paid hard cash for.

Dick Cogger has said repeatedly that the source code would be made public
"when it's ready" for some value of "ready". I too find the delay
annoying, but I know the fear that (a) "I can't release my code looking
like this" :-) and (b) that evil uses of the code can make programs that
flood the net while trying to do something good. I wouldn't want to be
associated with (b) myself. I'm guessing that's why I've gotten no
cooperation from the CUSM team with questions I'm investigating for an app
I'm trying to write.

>By the way, I saw a suggestion of collating a list of supported PC hardware
>- is there a demand for a similar list for the Mac community? Or does one
>exist already? If there is a demand not being met then pls let me know -
>perhaps I have found a niche where I can help repay some of the effort
>expended on CUSM.

Barre has something like that on his web page (if I remember correctly) and
probably the CUSM readme does too. But it's been too long since I've
digested either of them, so there may be a niche. One way to find out is
to ask the list readership for something that should get done by someone
outside of the CUSM dev team. Gentlebeings?

Digital Jungle Consulting Services http://www.wco.ftp.com/~msattler/ |

"The Best is Always Cheapest" - John C. Douglas Vitreous Ware |