Re: Reflector questions

Dick Cogger (R.Cogger@cornell.edu)
Wed, 7 Dec 1994 15:08:28 -0500

Folks,
(See questions below.) We had hoped to have the next version of the
reflector out last week, but ran out of time. John Lynn, who does most of
the reflector programming is at the IETF meetings this week, so look for a
release next week with a little luck. Besides a bumch of improved
interoperability with mbone tools, nv and vat, there are a few other items
which should make it easier to operate both single reflectors and networks
of them. Some highlights:

* There will be a new "admit-sender" config parameter which will allow you
(if you are a reflector operator) to identify one or more IP addresses
from which to accept inbound video/audio streams. All others will be
allowed only to receive. You can currently set this sceanario up with two
reflectors, one admiting participants and giving bcc feed to another which
has the no-local-senders option configured.

* As an additional feature (hack?) if a conference ID is set in the upper
half of the range (0 thru 2^16), either by configuration or by the
"conference manager" connecting, then only folks using that ID will be able
to send, but others will be able to receive.

* There will be a variation on admit-bcc config parameter that uses an ID,
so that any reflector operator who know's the ID will be able to connect
with obtain-bcc without having had a specific IP configured in the serving
reflector.

At 1:11 PM 12/7/94, Robbie Burcham wrote:
>I am running reflector 2.50b1 on a Sun. I have a few questions, and
>after going through the FAQ more than a few times, I am still looking for
>answers.

>BIG IMPORTANT QUESTION
>How can I configure the reflector so that only one participant has
>priviledges to send, and all others do not? I suppose I want to force
>all participants (excluding one priviledged participant) to be in a
>lurking state. Can this be done? I know that I can cap bandwidth, but I
>want to cap everyone BUT the principle participant.
>
>LITTLE QUESTIONS
>Is there an easy way to have this configuration, and then the default
>configuration, and then switch back and forth between them without
>recompiling the reflector each time?

recompiling? You just need to read a new config file. Kill and restart,
pointing to the new file. A little bit of shell-scripting should suffice
for a lot of operating modes. But specifically for what you want, the new
version should take care of it.

>Regarding the CU-SeeMe client for the Macintosh (and probably the PC, but
>I dont know for sure), what is the "Open..." selection off the file menu
>for? Is there some way to configure a "Set" that when double clicked in
>the Finder, it automatically launches the client and connects to a
>reflector? Every time I browse with the File/Open... menu, it never sees
>any files. What files does it open?

We've considered that from time to time... we could have a connection
document, specifying site to connect to and various other parameters.
Look for something along those lines at some point. At one time, Open was
used to "open" a connection dialog, what you now get from Connect. It
seemed (to some but not all of us) that while network nerds know that
opening and closing is what you do to, e.g., a tcp connection, it might not
be the first thing a civilian would think of-- would you ask your mother to
"open" a phone call to you? But opening a document is probably sensible.

Cheers, -Dick

-Dick