Re: CUCMe [Q] Mac to Mac/PC over phone but no Internet ?

Dick Cogger (R.Cogger@cornell.edu)
Fri, 9 Dec 1994 09:40:21 -0500

At 1:23 PM 12/8/94, Geoff Rehn wrote:
>At 10:33 AM 12/8/94 -0500, "Dick Cogger" (Richard Cogger) wrote:
>>In fact, we are about to release as a beta, CUslip. CUslip is a Mac slip
>>implementation developed at Cornell (in the same group that brought you
>>CU-SeeMe) by Joy Veroneau.
>

>Is this what is behind the folowing in your email header?

No, that's the usual Cornell modem pool and slip service, implemented with
Annex servers. I could have been dialed in with CUslip, but it actually
was HydePark MacSLIP.

>Now, I suppose I would be dreaming too much to ask if the "server" could
>also be connected say to ethernet and thus we have dialup full TCP/IP
>connectivity to the Net???

Well, if you have an IP router implementation and so on to run on the Mac,
it could be *possible* but CUslip itself contains no such things. Probably
it was a form of exageration for me to have described it as acting as a
server-- better to have described it as acting as a "callee." You have to
manually configure IP addresses at both ends, for example.

>>It is fairly bare-bones, but it does work as a server and
>>we have run CU-SeeMe point-to-point between Macs as a two-node IP network.

Cheers, -Dick

-Dick