Re: CUCMe [D]iscuss ; Compression and codec standards

Michael Sattler, San Francisco (EST)
Sun, 11 Dec 1994 17:34:54 -0500

At 03:24 12/11/94, ko@komac.knoware.nl wrote:

>Is Internet going to replace POTs (Plain Old Telephone system)?
>If so, we are going to have to pay for services (like Reflectors)

Well, if the American model holds for Holland, you'll pay a commercial
Internet provider a monthly fee for around-the-clock usage (about US$80 for
14.4 and $200 for ISDN).

>Is the CUCMe dev team considering optional ferocious compression?
>considering a 6 cascaded 6020 cpu's system available end '95 :)

You have to target to a reasonable market. In a year the PowerPC will be
ubiquitous, so any ferocious compression could assume that kind of
horsepower. Coding for a Cray would just frustrate the user community.

>The user could choose for more bandwidth and/or processing-power

Right. Just as Mac users now have a choice of audio transmission methods.

Digital Jungle Consulting Services http://www.indstate.edu/msattler/ |

"The Best is Always Cheapest" - John C. Douglas Vitreous Ware |