Re: [A]nswer connecting 2 CU-SeeMe users !

Geoff Rehn (rehn@cleo.murdoch.edu.au)
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 20:06:20 -0500

At 4:07 PM 15/12/94 -0500, ko@komac.knoware.nl wrote:
>Q: CAN I CONNECT TO ANOTHER CU-SeeMe WITHOUT INTERNET ACCESS?
>A: Though CU-SeeMe uses tcp/ip better said udp/ip you don't need access to
>the internet. Two CU-SeeMe users can connect via modem or directly via a
>serial port by using their respective ip client software ie slip /ppp, no
>server involved here. In case of 2 Mac's in a localtalk network you can
>also use localtalk under the MacTCP panel. If you have no IP number just
>invent one for each participant .
>
>Ko Stoel

As I indicated I would some time ago, I have made available by anonymous
FTP some dialling scripts and InterSLIP configuration settings that will
enable two Macs to connect in direct, 1-1 dialup mode, vis modem.

They are available by anon ftp to:
cleo.murdoch.edu.au (IP:134.115.224.60)
in the directory
/pub/dialup_access/slip/mac/direct_slip

A listing follows:
cleo>cd /pub/dialup_access/slip/mac/direct_slip
cleo>ls -al
total 7
drwxrwxr-x 3 rehn 512 Dec 16 08:23 ./
drwxrwxr-x 5 rehn 512 Dec 16 08:21 ../
drwxrwxr-x 2 rehn 512 Dec 16 08:23 Dialing_Scripts/
-rw-rw-r-- 1 rehn 980 Dec 16 08:23 SLIP_Client_(dialup).hqx
-rw-rw-r-- 1 rehn 954 Dec 16 08:23 SLIP_Server_(auto-answer).hqx
-rw-rw-r-- 1 rehn 1920 Dec 16 08:23 direct_slip.txt
cleo>cd Dialing_Scripts
cleo>ls -al
total 8
drwxrwxr-x 2 rehn 512 Dec 16 08:23 ./
drwxrwxr-x 3 rehn 512 Dec 16 08:23 ../
-rw-rw-r-- 1 rehn 2918 Dec 16 08:23 SLIP_Client_(dialup).hqx
-rw-rw-r-- 1 rehn 2331 Dec 16 08:23 SLIP_Server_(auto-answer).hqx

Here follows the text of the above direct_slip.txt:
-----

Direct SLIP connection using InterSLIP

enabling two Macintoshes to establish a SLIP connection by
direct dialup modem means.

version 1.0
16Dec94
________________________________

Brief install notes (quick and nasty!):

1. One Mac is the "server", the other the dialup "client"

2. The Macs will each need to have unique (proxy) IP numbers in the MacTCP
control panel and in the InterSLIP setup (ie. a given Mac has a unique IP
number which is the same in MacTCP and in InterSLIP setup).

3. The same HOSTS file will need to be in each Mac's System Folder.

A HOSTS files is simply a text file.
The following will do:
(cut and paste into a TeachText document and save as HOSTS)

macintosh_no_1 A 1.1.1.1
macintosh_no_2 A 1.1.1.2

4. Drop the SLIP Client (dialup) dialling script into the Dialing Scripts
folder in the InterSLIP Folder, in the Preferences Folder, in the System
Folder (!!), for the dialup client Mac. Also, drop the SLIP Client (dialup)
configuration file loose in this InterSLIP Folder.

5. Similarly, drop the SLIP Server (auto-answer) dialling script into the
Dialing Scripts folder in the InterSLIP Folder, in the Preferences Folder,
in the System Folder (!!), for the dialup client Mac. Also, drop the SLIP
Server (auto-answer) configuration file loose in this InterSLIP Folder.

6. Choose the above configurations in the InterSLIP setup for the
respective Macs; choose "direct connection" as the gateway script. You will
need to adjust the modem initialisation strings for each.

7. Check that the IP numbers in both the MacTCP control panel and in the
InterSLIP setup are the same (eg. 1.1.1.1 for one Mac, 1.1.1.2 for other
Mac)

8. Launch InterSLIP on the server Mac, so that it is awaiting connection.

9. Launch InterSLIP on the dialup client Mac and connect.

10. Once connected, use your TCP/UDP applications such as CU-SeeMe,
POPMail, Fetch and ftpd.

Geoff Rehn
16 Dec 94.

Geoff Rehn
Academic Services Unit Murdoch University Western Australia
voice: (09) 360 6308 fax: (09) 310 4929
rehn@cleo.murdoch.edu.au