backlog for CU-SEEME-L (1)

Joanne Callahan (jc46@cornell.edu)
Mon, 19 Dec 1994 10:02:06 -0500

Hi,

I'm including below a digest of all the messages CU-SEEME-L received
while the list was out of commission.

Note that most of them have blank subject lines. This was a symptom
of the problem that was fixed yesterday, and should not continue to
happen.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience the situation caused you. Thanks for
your patience and understanding while we were tracking down the
problem.

Sue
Sue Utter Honig E-mail: suh1@cornell.edu
Network Resources Phone: +1 607 254 4474
Cornell Information Technologies Fax: +1 607 255 5771
125 Caldwell Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853

------------------- backlog of postings -----------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 01:17:08 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: msattler@jungle.com
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

I've taken Tim's list-announcement message of two weeks ago and composed a
discriptional (and instructional) web page about all the CU-SeeMe related
mailing lists that I know about. In brief, we have announcement,
discussion, events, and reflector operator's lists. The page may be found
at

http://www.indstate.edu/msattler/comp/CU-SeeMe/email-lists.html

This message is being copied to my usual stomping grounds, the CU
discussion list, and to the MacHTTP discussion list (members of which hold
a Friday evening CU-SeeMe round-table).

Digital Jungle Consulting Services http://www.indstate.edu/msattler/ |

Santa's got great surveilance for a civilian, and PGP's military-grade |
encryption lets Santa hide who's been {naughty,nice} from the NSA. |

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 01:20:47 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: msattler@jungle.com
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

Today somone asked:

>This afternoon I got a whole bunch of bounced mail from the list, with
>nothing from about 3 o'clock their time and nothing since then. Did you get
>the same thing? You think the server hiccuped on that one?

I got it too. I think that a machine named "whimsey" went down with a
bunch of mail on it. When it came up today it sent us back all the message
we'd sent to the CU mailing list (there must be a mailing list subscriber
that gets mail through that machine). Ahhhh. Life in the digital jungle.

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 03:56:09 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: m.vincent@queens-belfast.ac.uk
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

Just a note to say that I've the same problem.

I'm running
System 7.1
Quicktime 1.6.2
Sound Manager 3.0

I mailed this question to the list before
and got a reply telling me to check the
sound control panel settings and make sure
that input was from the mic and playthrough was on.

When I did this the audio registered and everything
was ok, but now I can't get anything at all again,
even when I follow those steps.

Hope someone can help us.
Malcolm.

Gary Vankirk ...

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 04:35:04 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: achebonk@phibred.com
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

By now an sure that you big guys in Connectix know the problems
we buyers of QuickCam are facing using your product and CUSeeme.
What I want to know is WHEN are we expecting a fix for this
audio problem that everyone is complaining about? I am almost
ready to put my QuickCam in the box to be returned - I need to
hear something about a possible fix guys and it should be fast too.
Thanks in advance and am expecting a miracle.

Nubi Achebo
Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc
Johnston, Iowa

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 06:50:00 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: c.elliot@sheffield-hallam.ac.uk
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

The only problem is that cusm doesn't select the participant you click on.

x= a 'lurker' (watching but not transmitting)
c= closed (tranmitting but not window closed by recipient)
v= on view (transmitting and video window open)

regards,
Chuck Elliot.

> [...]
>begining of the line.
>
>When I click on that line, it tells me it is an unsupported video system.
>Strange, but ok.
>
>Now I close the bird-cam window. I click again on the line below, a user
>with a [x] in it.
>What I get, is that the bird-cam window is opened again (the first line).
>e.g. it executes the wrong line.
>
>2)
>Just now, I watched a broadcast from a site, which actually worked for a few
>moments (everything via nysernet.org).
>This information line had a [v] in it.
>After a few seconds, it suddenly disapeared, and got a [x] in the
>information line.
>Now, to me it looks like there is something wrong here. I cannot believe
>they switched over to another video transmision system in the middle of the
>transmission.
>Also, I see many people coming on-off line, and they all have a [x] and I
>can't view them.
>Whats wrong?
>
>3)
>I have had some crashes here, using the program. Next time I will write down
>the address where it happened...
>Now, the program crashed with a GP fault. I re-started it immediately.
>The program *automatically* reconnected itself to nysernet.org, because it
>received the incoming packets. The program kept crashing with GP's all the
time.
>I had to reboot Windows, (and in that time nysernet.org probably timed out
>as well), and after that, all was fine again.
>I the program supposed to accept incoming packets from a previous (crashed)
>session? Normally you would expect the program (or WinSock for that matter)
>to reject incoming UCP's from a session which has closed (or crashed).
>Anyway, the program was not happy with it, and kept crashing in this
>situation, until I rebooted WinSock (and Windows too), and started fresh.
>
>4)
>I sit here in New Zealand on the end of a 120 kbps Frame Relay link,
>followed by a 28.8 (plus compression) leased line to the local university.
>Therefore the bandwidth goes up and down like a jojo, between 1 kbps to 35
kbps.
>When I view the bird-cam, I get ofcourse a bit of a 'pixel' mixup on the
screen.
>But I often see random junk blocks of data appear on the screen, where they
>are not supposed to be. I am not sure if these are damaged video blocks, or
>blocks which belong on another part of the screen.
>I get the impression it is both. I have seen part of the bottom text appear
>somewhere else.
>
>This suggests that the protocol cannot always cope..??
>

>I hope this report will help the developers improving the program. I am very
>interested in the new sound part too!
>When will we see that in Windows??
>
>Cheers, Bart.

>Bart Kindt (ZL4FOX), Sysop, Efficient Software NZ LTD

Dr. Chuck Elliot
School of Computing & Management Sciences
Sheffield Hallam University UK
tel. 0742 53315: fax. 0742 533161
email C.Elliot@shu.ac.uk
www http://kingfisher.cms.shu.ac.uk:/chuck.html

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 08:59:13 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: achebonk@phibred.com
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

If you are planning to buy QuickCam for use with CuSeeme I would
say think very well about it. Connectix is nonchallant about
the problems we buyers face using their product (see below). I
was expecting a meeting of minds of the two organizations for a
fix but Connectix says its a CuSeeme problem. I hope some hacks
a fix soon.

Nubi

From: GW1::"Tech_Support@connectix.com" 12-DEC-1994 17:23:28.19
To: achebonk@gw1
CC:
Subj: RE>Fix for CUSeeme and Quic

Reply to: RE>Fix for CUSeeme and QuickCam!
Nubi -

According to our product manager, when people use a 14.4K modem, audio
apparently stops working with CU-SeeMe. That's Cornell's problem, not ours. It
has something to do with bandwidth. On our network, we have never seen audio
problems with CU-SeeMe, but then, we have a fair amount of bandwidth, since
we're on Ethernet. In any case, your demand for a miracle fix should be
directed to Cornell.

I'm sorry that you're considering sending QuickCam back because of this.
QuickCam works great with the bundled software - there's a lot more there than
just CU-SeeMe compatibility.

Rob Westergaard
Tech Services

--------------------------------------
Date: 12/12/94 10:11 AM
To: Support
From: Nubi Achebo Ext. 4389 Virtual

Subject: Fix for CUSeeme and QuickCam!
From: Nubi Achebo Ext. 4389 Virtual Info Systems Now <achebonk@phibred.com>
Attn: support

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 09:24:24 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: rlc1@cornell.edu
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

As some of you may have noticed, there was an "e-mail storm" yesterday
afternoon that resulted in a great many postings to this (and possibly
other) lists.

Please DO NOT reply to this list (and all 900+ readers) asking about this
storm! I believe that the problem has been fixed (or at least is under
control).

Basically, our list server program suddenly stopped ignoring some automatic
replies that we being generated by various e-mail forwarding programs
around the world. These programs had tried to deliver e-mail to some of
our subscribers and were not able to do so (for whatever reason). The
programs then (stupidly) replied TO THE LIST saying that they couldn't
deliver the e-mail.

Normally, the list server program is able to identify these erroneous
replies and will just ignore them, but yesterday, for some reason, it was
NOT ignoring them, resulting in even more postings.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This may a good time to remind everyone that this list is set up to REPLY
TO THE ENTIRE LIST. If you want to "reply" to just some one person, then
be sure you issue the appropriate commands to do so. You may also want to
set the "ACK" option for yourself, so that your postings get sent back to
you as well as to the rest of the list subscribers; that way, you see what
they see!

Larry Chace (rlc1@cornell.edu)

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 10:31:19 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: davsar@panix.com
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

Whenever I connect to the Cornell reflector I get a message "MacSlip
carrier lost and cannot proceed. I am setting my send maximum at 10kbps
with two windows and no audio send or receive. I am using a 14.4 Supro
FaxModem 144LC and dialing into Panix. Do you have any suggestions? I know
that some other people are able to use your product with a similar setup,
and look forward to doing so.

Regards,
Dave Sarlin

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 13:21:42 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: jan.engvald@ldc.lu.se
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

Wednesday 14 Dec at around 10:30 MET (09:30 GMT) the 1994 Nobel Prize
for Literature winner, Kenzaburo Oe, will visit Lund University at the
Academic Community building (AF) in Lund. He will make a speach for
about half an hour and then play music made by his son, Hikari.
The complete performance will probably last an hour.

We intend to broadcast this event using CU-SeeMe. There will hopefully
be a taped retransmission the same day at 19:00 MET (18:00 GMT).

We will provide two different versions, one for those with good
network bandwidth to us (most universities in Scandinavia) and one
for all others. They will occupy 200 kb/s and 56 kb/s, respectively.

The low bandwidth version uses 16 kb/s audio, you need CU-SeeMe
ver 0.70b14 to hear it. If you have a 28800 bps modem you can probably
manage by closing the video window and just listen to the sound.

On some Macintoshes I've noticed that sound stops after a couple of
seconds. One way to fix it was to click on PushToTalk, wait a second,
click on it again. Then do the same for the speaker below the wideo
window.

Here are the reflectors broadcasting this event:

Low bandwidth:
USA: tahoe.nb.rockwell.com (129.172.210.32)
Central Europe: cuisunf.unige.ch (129.194.73.32)
Scandinavia and others: nobel56k.lu.se (193.10.87.35)

High bandwidth:
Sweden, Kalmar: clark_kent.hik.se (194.47.161.10)
Sweden, Goteborg: (129.16.200.9)
Rest of Scandinavia: nobel200k.lu.se (130.235.4.11)

For more info on Kenzaburo, see http://logos.svenska.gu.se/pressreleng.html
and about Lund University, see http://www.lu.se/ .

Jan Engvald, Lund University Computing Center
Address: Box 783 E-mail: Jan.Engvald@ldc.lu.se
S-220 07 LUND Earn/Bitnet: XJELDC@SELUND
SWEDEN Span/Hepnet: Sweden::Gemini::xjeldc
Office: Soelvegatan 18 VAXPSI: psi%2403732202020::xjeldc
Telephone: +46 46 107458 X.400: S=Engvald/G=Jan/O=ldc/
Telefax: +46 46 138225 PRMD=lu/ADMD=sunet/C=se
Telex: 33533 LUNIVER S

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 13:45:17 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: connelly@cap.gwu.edu
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

I made a request to the list yesterday and I recieved a message today
telling me I am not on the list yet. If any anyone responded would you
please send or forward the replies to me personally for now? Thanks. My
address is:

connelly@cap.gwu.edu

Michael Connelly
Georgetown Day High School
connelly@cap.gwu.edu
IH8KIDS@aol.com

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 14:26:59 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: bartolom@trivium.gh.ub.es
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

A professor of University of Calgary (Canada) requested me to show him
CuSee-Me videonferencing point to point. But as I must return to Barcelona
in 2 days, we have found only a time to meet us: Dec.13th. at 7'17 GMT
(15'15 west cost time). And at this time we can not connect with Barcelona
(it is too late) as we had thought.

So, if some one likes to exchange some words with us, please send us
directly your IP number to this e-mail address:
bartolom@trivium.gh.ub.es

(At this moment, I do not know the IP address where we are going to check).

If we have not received any answer, we will contact to Cornell reflector.

thanks in advance.

----
Antonio R. Bartolom=E9
Dpt. of Educational Psychology - University of Calgary
fax: 1-403-282 9244 Internet: bartolom@trivium.gh.ub.es
phone: 1-403-220 3679
"No pierdas el tiempo, sue=F1a"

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 15:01:49 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: cvmiller@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

>> Brian E. Hannon wrote:
>> >I can get the mike in the quickcam to work outside of CUSeeme, and I
>> >can use my Duo's mike for sound in CUSeeMe, but I want to use the
>> >powermac... and the sound through the cam just doesn't work.
>>
>Yes, that's the problem. I think we should get this out into the open once
>and for all: CU-SeeMe on the Macintosh does not support the QuickCam audio
>input; instead it uses the Mac's built-in audio input.
>
>QuickCam users should note that this actually helps their video frame rate,
>because the QuickCam audio steals bendwidth in the serial port that could
>otherwise be used for QuickCam video. So, adding support for QuickCam audio
>might not actually be all that useful.
>
> Robert P. Munafo munafo@vgi.com

Hmm, this is a problem. I was assuming that the audio would work in CUSM,
since I have some 'older' Macs (like ci's) which I wanted to bring up to
speed with CUSM & the Connectix Quickcam. I'd like to thank the CU team for
getting the video working, any chance the audio will follow?

Craig...

Craig Miller 808/539-3661
Digital Media Lab Coordinator 808/539-3833 fax
University of Hawaii cvmiller@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu

"To Web, or not to Web, that is the question...."

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 14:53:27 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: msattler@jungle.com
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

At 09:03 12/12/94, Frank Chen x-69531 wrote:

>However, in this page(http://www.indstate.edu/CU-SeeMe/), it refers the
>page is located in http://www.indstate.edu/cuseeme/(that did not exist,
>at least from the result of accessing by Mosaic). Lots of other messages
>in this list also refer to http://www.indstate.edu/cuseeme/ instead of
>http://www.indstate.edu/CU-SeeMe/. Which one is official?

Hi Frank, and others. I thought I answered this yesterday. You found an
error in that web page. I've corrected the error. It should have pointed

http://www.indstate.edu/CU-SeeMe/

which is the top level of my CU pages. I've been adding things from this
list, from time to time, plus running QuickCam problems by Connectix. I've
posted a list of known incompatibilities that was sent to me today. I'll
shove that audio thing past them right now.

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 15:23:27 -0500
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: davsar@panix.com
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

I am in the dark as to why I cannot use my Quickcam at 14.4. If someone who
is using a dialup connection could tell me how to set up CuSeeMe I would