Re: need help

Ben Domenico (ben@unidata.ucar.edu)
Thu, 22 Dec 1994 07:35:47 -0500

On Thu, 22 Dec 1994, Cheng-Kang Wen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the CU_SeeMe. Recently I installed it in my PC Windows box. What
> else should I have to transfer audio and video to another PC ? I suppose
> this is a faq question, but I did not find it in the faq from cornell ftp site.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -CK

CK:

I hope others will correct me if I'm wrong, but in my few days
on this list, I've come to conclude:

1. There is no facility for recieving or sending audio via
CUseeme for Windows.

2. The tested hardware options for capturing video to send out
via Windows CUseeme are VideoSpigot and FS200 Video
Blaster boards. Both boards are from Creative Labs
and both have been discontinued. Cornell is attempting
to make a Media Vision board (the ProVideo Studio?)
work, but it isn't there yet. By the way, there
appear to be some problems with the FS200, so my
impression is that you should try to find a VideoSpigot
if you can.

3. So far I haven't been able to gather any recommendations
for which cameras might be best to use with the
VideoSpigot or FS200 (assuming you can find one).
My impression is that you can probably make
most video cameras work, but that there are some
relatively inexpensive ones out there.

A word on the Mac situation--just for completelness, it
seems that there is a very inexpensive solution that works
on most of the more recent Macs. It's called the Quick Cam
from Connectix and it plugs into the serial port on the Mac
so there is no need for a special video board. Since it
costs less than $100 and sounds too good to be true, I
ordered one. Once I get it and give it a try, I'll post
something about my experience.

I hope this helps and that I haven't spread too much
heresy.

--Ben
Ben Domenico Unidata Program Manager
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu P.O. Box 3000