CU-SeeMe Bandwidth requirements (fwd)

Michael Wakefield (mwakefie@keene.edu)
Sat, 31 Dec 1994 14:29:50 -0500

Something from a thread on another list - apologies to those subbed to
DEOS-L already, but I thought you all might want to know what's being
said about us "out there"

==Mike

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 20:18:25 -0500
From: ASCDE - DEOS-L <ade@cac.psu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list DEOS-L <DEOS-L@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
Subject: CU-SeeMe Bandwidth requirements

From: terry%red@lawton.lonestar.org

In <m0rFv4S-000SI1C@seas.smu.edu>, you write:
>From: "Gary R. Tanner" <grtanner@acs.ucalgary.ca>
>
>I don't think so! But isn't the problem you have identified more
>widely applicable? As someone who is working on a project looking
>at using Mosaic-type WWW browsers as a vehicle for course
>delivery, I'm concerned that as more and more users switch to
>graphical browsers, current bandwidths will not be able to cope
>with the volume of traffic, and the 'net will slow to (even more
>of) a crawl.
>
>Other opinions?

Gary you are right. And with the commercial hype and active gateways daily
being added, that permit a growing public access, it will only get rapidly
worse. Add to the rapid growth in access, the compounding factor of graphical
interfaces and it appears that near-real-time keyboard exchanges to points
around the world may well quickly become a thing of the past.

However, fiber optics offers a simple here now solution. The September issue
of Scientific American, a special issue on information distribution and the
problems associated with extending internet and other info systems, is an
ideal read for those that want to see todays problems and solutions in terms of
available technology.

What is needed is an active and agressive public policy that permits high
level information systems to switch, now, to fiber optics to avoid the
anticipated congrestion. Universities, cities, counties, and states need to
make the investment now. The federal governement should build the national
network.

If, as has been stated else where, we are truly moving deeper and deeper into
the information age, then the physical plant to move massive amounts of
information will become increasingly important. Possibly as important in some
respects as power, water, sanitation, and transportation systems. Without the
expansion of the information highway into a community, a community may face a
slow death in the same way that new transportation highways caused the demise
of small towns along Route 66. An earlier example is the economic loss
associated with being by-passed by the railroad.

Those of us that are connected today through internet are participating in
Toffler's Third Wave. Those that can't jump on board this fast moving
technological train may experience his Future Shock.

Regards, Terry

--
DOMAIN: terry%red@lawton.lonestar.org (Terrence R. Redding)
UUCP:   . . . !rwsys!lawton!red!terry (Terrence R. Redding)