Re: Audio for only a second or so...

Gordon F. Ross (gfross@hopf.dnai.com)
Fri, 01 Dec 1995 02:09:03 -0800

Hi, Wayne.

I, too, have experienced the same problem when communicating with someone
using a 28.8 or slower modem. I have 128k capacity myself. When I
connected with NASA Select TV (158.36.33.5), however, although I was not
sending video (or audio), I saw the NASA images (two windows) plus my local
window and heard the audio (someone giving a speech in Swedish) almost
perfectly. My caps were set to 80 (max) and 10 (min). I have a Pentium 90
and Windows 3.1.

I'm still looking for someone who has 128k or faster capacity to communicate
with privately, using both video and audio, so that I can test the White
Pine 1.0a1.1 version more thoroughly.

The reflector seems to make a difference, I've noticed. A 1:1 connection
often seems worse than connection to a public reflector. I imagine that
other factors play a part, too, especially the amount of activity on the
Internet, but also the routes the data take, whether one is using a
unidirectional or bidirectional flow on the printer port, the speed of one's
computer, the number of people using one's ISP server, etc.

All the best --

Gordon Ross
gfross@dnai.com