Subject: PC to PC / ISDN / POTS
Author: pmaggs@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu at DDN/Internet
Date: 12/1/95 8:15 AM

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 14:30:57 -0600
Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
From: "Peter B. Maggs" <pmaggs@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>

> At 11:30 PM 11/29/95 -0800, steve wrote:
> >How can i use cuseeme over my isdn line WITHOUT going thru the internet
> >(in other words, I want a friend to call me direct, and establish a 2-way
> >cuseeme video teleconference). My friend has the same equipment as I do:
> >a pc, trumpet winsock, isdn, cuseeme and quickcam. The internet is slow,
> >however, and i want to know if I can bypass it. Also, this would give me
> >greater privacy, since no one else would know my ip address. Can this be
> >done? Inexpensively?
> >

> >The better question is how does one do point to point on a PC to PC.
>
> Emile

Here is how you do it modem to modem. If you have an ISDN adapater with
software that simulates a modem it should work exactly the same ISDN to
ISDN.

Set both Trumpet winsocks to compatible settings (e.g., both to SLIP,
same numbers for block sizes). Make up a (different) IP number for each
winsock. Enter this fake IP number and fake name in the "hosts" file in your
winsock directory:

0.0.0.1 adam.people.earth.org

Setup one winsock by manually or automatically dialing in the same
commands you use to set up with a modem, e.g.

atz

at&c1&k3

and then one more command

ats0=1

And hit the ESCAPE key to enable SLIP.

This modem will then me in answer mode.

On the other, just call it up.

atz

at&c1&k3

atdt202-555-1212

When connected hit the escape key to enable SLIP.

Then just type in the fake IP number of the other guy into the
"connect" window to make a connection.