Re: Hosts

Amy Leung (amy@iohk.com)
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 16:32:19 +0800 (HKT)

On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Norman Duncan wrote:

> I have just downloaded cuseeme but I keep getting the "gethostbyname"
> message. I am running windows 95. Can someone please help.

This "gethostname" failure could be a number of problems, in general it
means some network setup problem. (Like, I did experience the same
problem using dial-up networking in a friend's computer, in which Netscape
had worked flawlessly with Trumpet. It turned out that the Dial up
Adapter was not properly binded to TCP/IP protocol as a result of him
removing the "existing Ndis2 driver" during/after Win95 installation.

Check with your network settings, make sure TCP/IP is setup right and try
changing the DNS to another one (or specifying one if you hadn't); if
nothing works try use the 32 bit IP addresses instead of the domain names
for the servers (like 192.82.70.4 instead of piney.wpine.edu).

Cheers,

/__ | / Internet e-mail: amy@iohk.com
__/ __| ______/ URL: http://www.iohk.com/UserPages/amy