Re[2]: New Method of VR/Teleconferencing.

Michael Sweger (swegerm@baileys-emh5.army.mil)
Tue, 05 Dec 95 08:40:49 EDT

Hi,

I'm the one that posted this message. The s/w is now up to
version wchat08b.

This s/w, when installed, acts like a video game. The s/w
doesn't transmit video like cu-seeme, but what is sent is the
position and messages (via chat window) to a server of your
3-D icon character (what they call an avatar). This 3-D
character is first selected from a gallery of icons in picture
frames that you want to impersonate. The s/w then asks for the
name you want to go by: which is then put above your 3-D icon.
You then connect to the server whereby you see all the other
people connected to the server via icons. You can move around
the VR world (in this case a space station) to different chat rooms
and the subtopics of that chat room (using the elevator). The chatting
is done via a chat window. You can also click on the billboards for
messages, the icons to specifically talk to others, and even hear
sounds and background music( with a sound card) as you move around
the station. Supposedly, in the future, conversation will be done
by sending your voice (similar to cu-seeme) along with typing text.

Check it out. I think you'll find it interesting.

Hence, the term VR (virtual reality) teleconferencing, whereby
instead of video you take on the likes of a video game character
and can talk via text (later on maybe your on voice).

Have fun. :)

Mike Sweger
swegerm@baileys-emh5.army.mil