Re: audio only

Amy Leung (amy@iohk.com)
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 20:27:38 +0800 (HKT)

On Thu, 7 Dec 1995 dvernon@aqmd.gov wrote:
> Thanks for the response to my earlier email (Amy Leung and Luc Volders)
> Since I only have a 144k modem and cannot use cuseeme, are there any other
> internet phone services out there that is compatible with both PCs and MACs
> that provide audio only? Responses from anybody is appreciated. Thank you.

You may want to wait a while cos there isn't one yet. There has been some
mention of a Mac version of Internet Phone, as well as PC version of
Netphone for quite some time now, but unfortunately they are nowhere in
sight.

Before CUSeeme worked, the closest I get for modem PC - Mac talk over the
Internet was trying to use "vat" under Linux in my home PC (I use a
modem) with GSM encoding to talk to someone with Netphone on a Mac (with
a fast link to the Internet) again using GSM.

While my friend could hear me loud and clear all I heard from him was
some machine gun like "speech" and I could not figure out what he was trying
to say.

Cheers,

/__ | / Internet e-mail: amy@iohk.com
__/ __| ______/ URL: http://www.iohk.com/UserPages/amy