28.8 kbps is just too thin (was: Newbie probs)

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 15:57:42 -0800

>On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Paul Margulies wrote:
>
>> Mac Quadra 605, Ram Doubler, 28,800
>>
>> I get just basic frames, very little video. What I get tends to look like a
>> "Concentration" game, little digital blocks that might be part of a face..
>> a nose here, an eye there.
>>
>> When I get audio, it is unintelligible. I have read the docs and can't
>> figure out what it is I am doing wrong.

What you describe is not unusual for low-speed (modem) connections. 28.8
kbps just isn't enough to pass even full audio and video for one window.
Your use of RAM Doubler isn't as significant as the amount of RAM you're
doubling. Of even greater interest is the extensions you're using other
than MacTCP/Open Transport.

Generally, though, don't expect too much from a modem connection.

Michael Sattler, Digital Jungle <mailto:msattler@jungle.com> |
San Francisco, California, USA <http://www.jungle.com/msattler/> |

My book "Internet TV with CU-SeeMe" (ISBN 1-57521-006-1) is available! |

To leave this list send listproc@cornell.edu a message body with the |
command "u*subscribe cu-seeme-l". (Replace the '*' with 'n'; if |
the "un" word had appeared then this message would have automagically |
been filtered to the trash by many people's filtering configuration.) |