Secure Netscape (was: ID)

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Wed, 27 Dec 1995 15:12:29 -0800

Robert Allen Decker <comrade@umich.edu> said:
>On Fri, 20 Oct 1995, Michael Sattler wrote:
>
>> Never give your credit card number, etc., over an *insecure* channel.
>> Netscape has a reasonably secure encryption as long as you've got the
>> secure version of the browser and are in a secure page (look at the lock
>> icon at the bottom left of the browser window).
>>
>Actually, a couple of grad students on the west coast (San Fran?) recently
>demonstrated that just about anyone can crack Netscape's key in under 30
>seconds (they did it in 21!).

Actually, that was quite a time ago, and the current versions of Netscape
have that problem fixed. And I believe your recollection of the time
required is *way* off; it took them days to break one specific key.
Details are available from Netscape's home pages.

Michael Sattler, Digital Jungle <mailto:msattler@jungle.com> |
San Francisco, California, USA <http://www.jungle.com/msattler/> |

My book "Internet TV with CU-SeeMe" (ISBN 1-57521-006-1) is available! |