Re: "no response" message

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil)
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 01:16:58 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 29 Dec 1995 theinze@magic.winnet.net wrote:

> The only address I can seem to get connected to is 127.0.0.1. Then there is
> never anyone threre. All other sites give me a "no response" message. Could
> this be a result of my hostname not being properly identified? I thought I
> followed the installation file properly, but then again, maybe not. Any help
> would be appreciated.

Greetings:
I don't know if it's a "hostname" problem, but I do know that you have
the "winsock.dll" file loaded. Assuming you're using a modem (dial-in via
ISP), you might have dropped your connection without your software
knowing it! This would cause "winsock.dll" to remain resident in Windows
and provide you access internally (127.0.0.1).
How could you check for this "dropped connection"? It's hard to tell.
Usually, you have to be conscienciously aware of your modem's 'clicking'
noise as it hangs up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive this is
called dropping "Carrier Detect" or DCD. You *might* want to consider
turning off this "DCD" if you can.
On a *true* network connection? I have never seen this problem happen
(different architecture).

I hope this helps you out...

"Have you ever 'ate crow'? It don't taste like
chicken, but it's better than 'SPAM'!!"

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine "derskine@apci.net"
PHONE: (618) 256-6891 "derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil"
"http://www.apci.net/~derskine"