Re: cu-see me - point to point

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil)
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 01:26:33 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 28 Dec 1995, Spikeman wrote:

> How difficult is it to use cuseeme point to point? For instance, my
> friend and I each have a video camera, and we'd like to use it over our
> phone line instead of going over the internet. Where would I find
> information about this, such as setting up my PC to dial his with, say,
> Trumpet Winsock or something similar, and his PC, also running Trumpet,
> would answer, so we could see each other?

Greetings:
I sent this message out before, so I'll just resend for all you "newbies":
Good question! I guess one of your workstations would have to be a
SLIP/PPP server (i.e. - emulate an ISP) and allow the other workstation
to dial in as an internet SLIP/PPP client. I haven't tried using Trumpet
WinSock to "auto-answer" (acting as a server) from one end; to establish a
connection from another Trumpet WinSock machine. I don't think this
theory will work. This question is better left to Mr Peter Tattum at
Trumpet Software International to answer. How about if you try setting
up this session with these sample parameters:

SERVER HOST
IP# 222.222.222.001 222.222.222.002
DNS: 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1
GATEWAY: 222.222.222.002 222.222.222.001
NETMASK: 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0
DOMAIN NAME: test.line.ppp test.line.ppp

You won't need to resolve DNS services outside of your own machines.
Your IP numbers should reflect that your both on the same Class "D"
line. Flip-flop your IP numbers in the Gateway field to fool Trumpet
into resolving the other machine as the Internet router. Your domain
name can be whatever you want, as long as they're the same!!!
I"ve been trying to "coax" my boss into trusting me with his PC to
test out this theory. Because of this Bosnia thing, I haven't found the
time to test it out!

Good luck...

"Have you ever 'ate crow'? It don't taste like
chicken, but it's better than 'SPAM'!!"

Sgt Daniel W. Erskine "derskine@apci.net"
PHONE: (618) 256-6891 "derskine@caesar.safb.af.mil"
"http://www.apci.net/~derskine"