Re: "no response" message

Bryant Reif (reifbrya@pilot.msu.edu)
Sun, 31 Dec 1995 02:57:13 -0500

At 01:16 AM 12/30/95 -0600, Sgt Daniel W. Erskine wrote:
>On Fri, 29 Dec 1995 theinze@magic.winnet.net wrote:
>
>> The only address I can seem to get connected to is 127.0.0.1. Then there is
>> never anyone threre. All other sites give me a "no response" message. Could
>> this be a result of my hostname not being properly identified? I thought I
>> followed the installation file properly, but then again, maybe not. Any help
>> would be appreciated.
>>
>Greetings:
> I don't know if it's a "hostname" problem, but I do know that you have
>the "winsock.dll" file loaded. Assuming you're using a modem (dial-in via
>ISP), you might have dropped your connection without your software
>knowing it! This would cause "winsock.dll" to remain resident in Windows
>and provide you access internally (127.0.0.1).
> How could you check for this "dropped connection"? It's hard to tell.
>Usually, you have to be conscienciously aware of your modem's 'clicking'
>noise as it hangs up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive this is
>called dropping "Carrier Detect" or DCD. You *might* want to consider
>turning off this "DCD" if you can.
> On a *true* network connection? I have never seen this problem happen
>(different architecture).
>
>I hope this helps you out...

Ahh good idea! This is probably what is happening, which explains
why I must re-boot my computer before I can connect to a reflector site
again. Right now my dial-up internet provider likes to disconnect me right
in the middle of CU See Me. Now the question is... How does one un-load the
winsock.dll from memmory. I used a diagnostic program I have and looked for
w32sock.dll resident in memmory after I was disconnected, but it was not
loaded. Also all my other internet programs work perfectly (Eudora,
Netscape, Telnet, FTP). Is there any way to tell CU See Me that it has been
disconnected? Thanks.

** Bryant Reif, Telecommunication, Michigan State Univ. **
** Phone: (517) 332-1236 E-mail: reifbrya@pilot.msu.edu **
** Work: (517) 432-2191 E-mail2: reif@tc.msu.edu **
** Fax: (517) 432-2529 **
** WWW: http://aiesec.msu.edu/~bryant **

"If you keep your money in your shoe, then people
will know which bills are yours." D. Byrne