Re: Copy from chat Output area?

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sun, 08 Dec 1996 17:25:26 -0600

At 11:58 AM 12/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Mac version question:
>
>I need to be able to select and COPY text fromt the *output* area of the
>chat window. Doesn't work - you can hilight text in the output area but
>the COPY is assumed to apply to the input area regardless.

I see this is a MAC question, but just FYI for all you PC users:

In win 3.1 I can easily hilite text in EITHER the top or bottom part of the
chat window, then press either control-c or control-insert and the text is
copied into the clipboard. On win95 you can click once in the top half then
press the right mouse button and then "select all". Next press the right
button again and choose COPY.

>I thought this didn't work at all, but have recently discovered that
>sometimes a copy, with output text highlighted, does indeed copy the
>selected text. I haven't been able to determine the conditions under
>which it works, though.

The problem on the PC is that once you hilite any text, if you receive more,
then the hilite goes away. You also can't scroll back thru the text for the
same reason. Each time you receive another chat message, the chat window
pops back down to the bottom again.

>Can anyone accurately describe the procedure for doing a copy from the
>output area? (Or, is the fact that it appears nondeterministic evidence
>of a bug?)
>
>Thanks,
> Richard
> richard.mcdonald@sympatico.ca