Re: QSeeMe for Linux - QuickCam Recommendation ?

Wed, 3 Dec 1997 00:15:14 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Jacqueline Chados wrote:
> You get what you pay for. The cheapie color quickcams work, sort-of....

Yep..I've always said that too :) I wish I had a lot more options on the
Quickcam than I do..but for $50, it's not too much to blow (least for
me).

> But they don't work very well. The VC is distinguished by its totally
> mediocre image quality. If I only had $100 to spend, I'd go with the b/w
> camera. If I wanted color, I'd spend a bit more for the Compro.
>
> For color I'm still sticking with the Compro until something better comes
> along.

If you want color...why not go with a capture card :) Compro is just
another parallel port camera I believe (though I'm not sure..feel free to
correct me). With a decent Winnov Videum (camera included) you get great
color..without the processor load the parallel port cams are plagued with.
There are a few other cap card&cam combos out for around $130-$140 or so I
believe.

It's been my experience, that color on CU (MJPEG at least) isn't too good
to begin with. Any quality of the camera would seem to pale in comparison
to the 15-20% quality setting required for modem users to get decent frame
rates with MJPEG. To see what I mean, load up Enhanced CU and full screen
an MJPEG vid :) But then, I'm sure you get ok vid at
160x120...Unfortunately, CU 3.1 doesn't have the ability to force a vid to
160x120 anymore.