Re: QSeeMe for Linux - QuickCam Recommendation ? (fwd)

Jacqueline Chados (jackie@sria.com)
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 16:54:58 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Jason Williams wrote:

> If you want color...why not go with a capture card :) Compro is just
> another parallel port camera I believe (though I'm not sure..feel free to
> correct me). With a decent Winnov Videum (camera included) you get great
> color..without the processor load the parallel port cams are plagued with.
> There are a few other cap card&cam combos out for around $130-$140 or so I
> believe.

Capture cards are ok for cu-seeme typ apps, but they don't come close to
the single image quality of the Compro. It doubles as a very decent
640x480 single frame camera. You have to pay some attention to the
lighting for top image quality, but considering the camera price, it is a
reasonable compromise.

The only capture device that comes close to the D-CAM single frame
quality is the Snappy. Snappy is a great device if you are tied to
standard NTSC video input, but a bit cumbersome compared to simply
plugging in a parallel port camera. And as for processor load, I'm
running a plain vanilla 485/33 and it isn't an issue. I don't get the
highest possible frame rates, but I don't need those high rates either.