Re: Can CUSeeMe be used with Web TV

Wed, 3 Dec 1997 14:20:50 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Roberta M Johnson wrote:
> My elderly parents, both basically uncomfortable with computers, are eager
> to keep up with their children and grandchildren. My brother and I are
> wondering if CUSeeMe can work with WebTV

Does WebTV have a parallel port? or any expansion slots inside of it? If
not, it would be pretty much a receive only medium.

> looking for a model where my
> parents could access a CUSeeMe window on web sites we develop so they can
> see us and the grandkids. Would appreciate suggestions subscribers might
> have on whether this is possible and how. Thanks

Ahh..I don't know much about WebTV..but I assume it's limited to strictly
web browsing? You can't run your own applications on it? If you're stuck
to a web browser alone, the only way to do CU-SeeMe is with something like
JavaCU..but even then, you would need as reflector setup to handle NV
streams.

You might consider some sort of webcam instead..with a Java chat system,
it should work perfectly for one way video and only requires a web browser
to work for the person(s) watching.