Re: CU crashing with Compro and Is there a better video conferencing software product ???

Curran Clan (curran@coastlink.com.au)
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 08:44:36 +0800

I have a Compro D and I love it . I don't know why yours is crashing , but
I suspect it is with the firewall/server from all the compaints that I have
viewed on this newsgroup .I also have a quick cam . I find no difference in
their quality. But the quick cam looks cool on the PC :)

I am new to CU-See Me so maybe I need to give it another go , but I am not
impressed at all. I have used
(http://www.vocaltec.com/iphone4/video_guide.htm)Internet Phone now for a
year without complaint. With the addition of a full duplex sound card , I
am able to conference with the rellys in the United States from Australia
daily .

On Vocal Tec -Internet Phone ,our video is in color with a short delay
from realtime and we have near telephone like quality on audio. As on IRC
, there is a list of current users already on site . The cost was 79 US $
for two licensed copies.

Contrast this with the black and white CUSeeMe video that remains a lot of
unscrambled pixels 10 minutes into the conversation. And CUSeeMe reflector
sites where all users leave thier headsets off and write in text boxes
because the audio is clumsy , memory consuming , and incomprehensible.
Trying to find a current reflector list is not easy either. I have not
found any of these sites to be different (http://www.cuseeme.com/vcd/ )
Does it get better ? Is there a color /audio/user list on site version ??

If you are seeing color and getting fast full duplex sound with CU-See Me,
than please share your methods and your reflector sites with me.

The only advantage that I see thus far is that CU-See Me seems safer and
more sane. I must open up a private channel on Vocal Tec Internet Phone
because there are numerous users looking for others that share there own
fetish. It is not a censored site. I have just installed a camera at the
school where I teach . Since there are an appalling number of users seeking
cyber sex on the VocalTec Internet Phone , I suggested that we try the CU
SeeMe that came with our Cam it is version 92b.

Perhaps things are a LOT better in 3.1

Catherine Curran
of the Curran Clan
Warnbro , West Australia