Re: CU crashing with Compro and Is there a better video conferencing software product ???

Curran Clan (curran@coastlink.com.au)
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 16:03:28 +0800

Catherine Curran
of the Curran Clan
Warnbro , West Australia
<curran@coastlink.com.au>
<curran@mail.accessin.com.au>

@ Warnbro Community High School
<ccurran@warnbro.wa.edu.au>

US 96 : <http://www.erols.com/curran>
Aus97 : <http://www.accessin.com.au/~curran/>

----------
: From: Jason Williams <streak@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
: To: Curran Clan <curran@coastlink.com.au>
: Cc: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
: Subject: Re: CU crashing with Compro and Is there a better video
conferencing software product ???
: Date: Sunday, December 14, 1997 3:11 PM
:
: On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Curran Clan wrote:
: > I am new to CU-See Me so maybe I need to give it another go , but I am
not
: > impressed at all. I have used
: > (http://www.vocaltec.com/iphone4/video_guide.htm)Internet Phone now for
: > year without complaint. With the addition of a full duplex sound card ,
: > am able to conference with the rellys in the United States from
Australia
: > daily .
:
: Keep in mind... Internet Phone (which is up to 5.0 I believe) is designed
: for point to point conferencing...NOT multipoint conferencing. Gotta
: compare apples to apples..not just all fruit.
:

You are absolutely right on this point . That is another advantage for
CUSeeMe use at schools. I thought of another one . Schools are listed at
sites such as
http://www.gsn.org/cu/index.html

: > Contrast this with the black and white CUSeeMe video that remains a lot
of
: > unscrambled pixels 10 minutes into the conversation.
:
: Enhanced CU does color.. The B&W Cornell version is free..I haven't seen
: free version of Internet Phone :)

another good point ....

: As far as being scambled...that has a lot to do with your settings. Last
: I checked, Internet Phone doesn't let you regulate your settings
manually.
:
settings are not necessary just click a user or invite a user to private
channel onVocal Tec . BTW there is another bit of software also called
Internet Phone .
at http://www.net2phone.com/ it appears to be an audio only product from
another company.

: > And CUSeeMe reflector
: > sites where all users leave thier headsets off and write in text
boxes
: > because the audio is clumsy , memory consuming , and incomprehensible.
:
: Actually, from what I've see..people don't use audio for OTHER reasons.
: It's much easier and widely accepted to use the chat window to
: communicate.

It is true that it is the modeto use chat still but the audio on VTIP is
automatic and doesnot require pushing a tlk button . Does 3.1 have a talk
button?

Imagine having several versions of Internet Phone, each with
: different levels of support for audio and you'd have the same thing
: happening. Internet Phone doesn't handle chat window activity very
: cleanly at all. CU-SeeMe does.
:
Mine does chat and whiteboard with no worries .

: It wasn't until just a year or so ago when attempting audio at all over a
: modem connection was "incomprehensible".
:
very valid argument also...

: > Trying to find a current reflector list is not easy either. I have not
: > found any of these sites to be different (http://www.cuseeme.com/vcd/ )

:
: I've tried to point White Pine to my reflector scanner...it's updated
: automatically daily for current reflectors. Try
: http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/streak/scan
:

: > Does it get better ? Is there a color /audio/user list on site version
??
:
: White Pine's version does do color and has several lower bandwidth audio
: codecs.
:
: > If you are seeing color and getting fast full duplex sound with CU-See
Me,
: > than please share your methods and your reflector sites with me.
:
: The reflectors vary in their support for audio....
: As mentioned above...until recently, doing audio on a modem was
: impossible... EXPECTING 30fps and crystal clear audio on a modem is still
: just a fantasy.
:
: > The only advantage that I see thus far is that CU-See Me seems safer
and
: > more sane. I must open up a private channel on Vocal Tec Internet Phone
: > because there are numerous users looking for others that share there
own
: > fetish.
:
: That's a problem in general of videoconferencing programs that use
: directory servers. There's no way to limit who can connect to them.
: CU-SeeMe separates people by reflectors...different types of reflectors
: catering to different groups.
:
That is my rationale for trying to make CU SeeMe work at school.
I really appreciate the seperation provided by CUSeeMe.

: > It is not a censored site. I have just installed a camera at the
: > school where I teach . Since there are an appalling number of users
seeking
: > cyber sex on the VocalTec Internet Phone , I suggested that we try the
CU
: > SeeMe that came with our Cam it is version 92b.
:
: You can also disconnect from the directory server I believe...not sure
: though since I don't use Internet Phone much.
:
: > Perhaps things are a LOT better in 3.1
:
: It provides color and lower bandwidth audio...but, while the
: inefficiencies of 0.92b2 may be corrected, it has its own set of
problems.
:
: (BTW..I've had great success with audio on 0.92b2)
:
: --Thank you so much for your detailed reply .

Seasons Greetings!!!!

: streak@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu * Jason Williams -- Austin, Tx. | |
: streak@mail.utexas.edu * University of Texas at Austin | ___ |
: streak@cs.utexas.edu * BS Computer Science \_|_/