Re: 64..128 MB needed for next generation W.P. CU-SEEME 4.X ?

Richard Merz (richard@webcom.com)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:18:58 -0800

Without regard to WP -- I've been very impressed with the lean-and-mean
Cornell CU. And for the browser fans who think 50MB is an appropriate size,
I suggest you try the relatively new Opera browser that does nearly
everything Netscape does, but with 1 MB of executable code -- and much much
faster.

So it can be done, usually by an individual, but *never* by a large topheavy
programming organization with dozens of us marketing mavens breathing down
the developers' necks.

Richard Merz

-------------------------------------

At 08:49 12/16/97 -0600, Jason Williams wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Gary Dietz wrote:
>> The subject line that Rolf started is not based on any fact or inside
>> information. It is pure conjecture.
>
>I agree :)
>While the requirements for programs have gone up, their capabilities have
>also skyrocketed. I'm sure I'm not the only one that remembers NCSA
>Mosaic being the only web browser out there...It didn't require much
>computing power, but it also didn't do much either. (Waiting for a
>graphic to render before it moved to the next part of the page was
>horrible).
>
>Granted, you may not NEED all of what the program requires, but it seems
>software today is made so it fits EVERYONE'S style and doesn't leave
>anything out. (Hence the 60 megs or however big MS Word 97 is)
>
>(See Gary, we CAN agree on something) :)
>
>--
>streak@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu * Jason Williams -- Austin, Tx. | |
>streak@mail.utexas.edu * University of Texas at Austin | ___ |
>streak@cs.utexas.edu * BS Computer Science \_|_/
>*************** http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~streak/ **************|

Richard Merz | www.webcom.com/richard | 408-464-7760 x 1130
Opinions expressed here are my own and probably should be yours too, but
they are not necessarily those of my employers, family, friends or any radio
talk show host. PGP public key at: http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/