Re: Video capture card or Connectix Quick Cam

Scott Breseke (halo@dnai.com)
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 14:26:23 -0800

At 12:36 PM 12/20/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I have read until I am going nutts. I have an ATI mach 64 video card. I
>want to use the CUSeeMe program I downloaded from Cornell U. It is the
>latest program.
>
>I went through the set up and did the phonebook thing and that seems to
>be fine. When i went to Preferences I have no "video" tab or page and
>there is not one "grayed" out.
>
>It says that the Connectix Quick Cam requires no video capture card.
>This vital issue and only the slightes reference to it somewhere in 400
>pages of stuff I have looked at.
>
>I cannot get any video from any connection. I do not have a camera yet
>because I wanted to make sure the program worked. I do not have the
>preference page for video.
>
>Do I need a special capture card if I use this CQCam? Where is my
>preference page and is that the reason I can't get ANY video now??
>
>THANKS EVERYONE that will talk to me!!!!
>
>Jim

Hi Jim. The Quickcam requires NO capture card. Also, your ATI card is a
regular video card, NOT a video CAPTURE card.
If you had either the quickcam or the capture card installed I'm sure your
video tab on CU would be showing up. I don't like the Cornell version of
CU, I greatly prefer the White Pine version. Most use the M-JPEG codec for
both b/w and color. Get the White Pine version at http://www.cuseeme.com
The demo version times out every 30 mins, but it's a much better version.

One big reason u may be receiving any video now is that most CU users send
vid with M-JPEG codec, which the Cornell version of CU cannot see at all. U
need the White Pine version of CU to see those vids.

Scott