Re: Video capture card or Connectix Quick Cam

Sat, 20 Dec 1997 20:28:33 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 20 Dec 1997, Scott Breseke wrote:
> Most use the M-JPEG codec for both b/w and color.

Guess that greatly depends on where you connect....Most of the people I've
seen on my reflector all use B&W with the Grayscale codec. There's also a
TON of users using the Mac Cornell version. From what I've noticed,
people aren't shy about telling others that color can't be seen by a lot
of people.

> Get the White Pine version at http://www.cuseeme.com
> The demo version times out every 30 mins, but it's a much better version.

Actually, the demo times out after 15 minutes.

> One big reason u may be receiving any video now is that most CU users send
> vid with M-JPEG codec, which the Cornell version of CU cannot see at all. U
> need the White Pine version of CU to see those vids.

True, Cornell users can't see MJPEG color. But I've seen a lot of people
switch to B&W so they CAN be seen...just depends on where you go.

(Had a runin with an anonymous White Pine employee that still insists that
MJPEG eats up much more bandwidth, even on a 28.8kbps modem)