External Codec for CU-SeeMe for Windows

Richard Kennerly (kennerly@nr-tech.cit.cornell.edu)
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 14:11:36 -0500

Dustin,
The 'external codec' is a driver that runs outside of CU-SeeMe and
translates between a standard input format the CU-SeeMe wants and whatever
format the Capture card wants to provide. The one we have, written by
Michel Carleer, translates from RGB 8, 16, and 24 bit, and, hopefully,
Indeo, to CU-SeeMe's 256 color palette. When we publish the spec for
these drivers, people will be able to easily(relatively) add support for
other cards without having to dig into the CU-SeeMe code.

-Rich Kennerly - <rbk1@cornell.edu> PC Windows CU-SeeMe developer

------- Forwarded Message

From: Dustin Goodwin <Dustin_Goodwin@notes.mic.gmeds.com>
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
Subject: [Q] External Codec & CU-SeeMe for Windows

Could somebody explain what this mysterious "External Codec" for the Windows
versions is? I have seen it referenced several times in messages. But I have no
idea why it is being introduced. Does the Mac version use this also? Will I
still need my video capture board? What will the Codec do to the video stream?

Information wants to be free. Even information about CU-SeeMe for Windows.

or how about:

Information has no value unless it is shared. So put the value of CU-SeeMe for
Windows through the roof and fill us in.

TIA
Dustin

------- End of Forwarded Message