Re: What good is Aux Data, anyway?

courtenay_j_m (courtenay_j_m@bt-web.bt.co.uk)
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 15:10:28 -0500

Larry Chace (rlc1@cornell.edu) wrote:

> The Auxiliary Data Transport facility is a part of CU-SeeMe that provides
> for the one-to-many delivery of arbitrary data items and includes "pretty
> good" error recovery. These data items are sent in parallel with the
> normal CU-SeeMe video and audio data and are further identified by an
> internal 4-byte type field.

Very interesting ...

Just wondered if you knew about a set of data conferencing standards
called T.120 (from the ITU, formerly CCITT). Your description could
almost be of what it is trying to achieve. It is supposed to be able
to run over IP.

Or even, dare I say it, the PCWG's (Personal Conferencing Working
Group) PCS (Personal Conferencing Specification).

And of course there is wb as used on the MBONE, and things generally
using multicast (Shared-X?).

Or will CU-SeeMe take over the world (especially because it's free)
and make all these other things irrelevant?

Comments welcome,
Mark

--
J Mark Courtenay                    tel. +44 1473 645423
MLB 4 15                            fax. +44 1473 620101