Re: Can one use CUSM with TIA? _CONTD_

Geoff Rehn (rehn@cleo.murdoch.edu.au)
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 21:48:56 -0500

Hi all.
The following email came from Patrick (pstingley@smtpgate.ssmc.noaa.gov)
with his testbed.

I connected to his reflector testbed via TIA dialup, from my Mac at home.
My TIA host has IP number: 134.115.224.60
My local "proxy" TIA IP number on my Mac is 1.1.1.1

What he has to say is encouraging....

At 7:12 PM 2/6/95 -0500, pstingley@smtpgate.ssmc.noaa.gov wrote:
> Geoff,
>
> We got
> your packets here around 8:30 AM EST. We also got packets from another
> computer in your domain (134.115.4.152). Is that you, or is there
> someone near you trying too?

NOTE: the 134.115.4.152 was me connecting via a genuine SLIP connection,
not TIA.

> I would have to say, since you are getting here, that the problem is
> that you are actually doing a version of IP spoofing with that 1.1.1.1
> IP address and the current version of the reflector software notes that
> it is receiving packets from 134.115.224.60 but is sending them back to
> 1.1.1.1 which, of course it can't find. This is what happened to mine.
> Even with this problem I was able to establish a point-to-point
> connection with another person using Cu-SeeMe client software. I
> recommend (since we know that your packets are getting through) that
> you try this. I wish I had a camera, I'd try it my self.

Patrick, could you please elaborate on "Even with this problem I was able
to establish a point-to-point connection with another person using Cu-SeeMe
client software."

Does this mean that you managed a 1 - 1 connection with another user who
was using TIA? How???

> You may post this to the list, I think it is of general interest, but
> have left it (and any editing you wish to do) up to you.

Not much editing done.

and thanks Patrick.

As "David G. Finkelstein" <david@maple.nis.net> noted, 'It's like we're
getting close, but not close enough...."

We should be posting to the TIA people but I think they are reading this list.
Comments TIA people?

regards all

Geoff R.

--
Geoff Rehn
Academic Services Unit  Murdoch University