Re: Ready for ISDN

Byron Thomason (byron@in.net)
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 05:06:37 -0500

>Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 04:23:58 -0500
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: rej@yacc.co.uk (Richard Jones)
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Re: Ready for ISDN
>

> Hi
>
> We're using ISDN here (64k) and using the PC version, so no sound yet
> (any idea when?). A couple of days ago I was getting 17 fps, but
> yesterday it was pretty poor, down to about 2 or 3 (from the oslo
> reflectors, a bit higher from NASA TV). So it all depends on what is
> happeneing on the internet that day. But performance could be pretty
> high. SHould be better than dial-up, in theory :-)

Yeah, I found out today this whole network thing is based on how much
bandwidth is available and how much is being used. LIke my access provider
told me today that he has a T1 line, which I think he said was 1.5mbps or
something like that, but each person that logs on uses a certain amount of
that total. The more people on, the less available, the slower the
connection becomes. Ain't that interesting? So, where do you access from?
A school or office, not home for sure...?... The other thing about my
access provider, he said whatever of that T1 line is not being used he gets
to use!!! I asked him if he was hiring, :) and he said the waiting list is
getting longer and longer.