Re: Ready for ISDN

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 16:35:59 -0500

At 02:59 2/9/95, Richard Jones wrote:
>msattler@jungle.com wrote:
>>
>>"Kilostream" is not a term I've ever heard used in the American
>>networking community. Please tell me what it is. From your
>>description it sounds simply like a bigger bandwidth pipe, like a T-1
>>or T-3.
>
>Yep, it's a tied/dedicated line with various bandwidths, 64k,128k,etc.
>Not sure how this matches up with your T1,T2... lines. I was
>recently at the USENIX conference in New Orleans and heard talk of
>your classifications of lines, but never found out what they are? If
>you could tell me, that would be great :)

So you can't tell by the usage of "kilostream" how big a pipe the person
means? The low-bandwidth side of American network usage is as follows:

14.4 - 28.8 kpbs modems
56.0 - 64.0 kpbs 1 ISDN b-channel
112.0 - 128.0 kbps 2 "bound" ISDN b-channels

The reasons the ISDN numbers show a range is due to the need for a 16 kbps
control channel, called a d-channel. When you have things set up to do a
direct dial (over Centrex, as I have here in SF) then you don't need the
d-channel, and you get the full b. Otherwise, ...

I forget the exact numbers for T-* flavors (as I'm in a cafe and don't have
any manuals with me), but a partial T-1 bought us 128 kbps. Someone?

You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in |
a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk |
and did the clue mating dance. - Edward Flaherty |