Re: NetPhone announced, and KJHK

Little Robbie Burcham (burchamr@lark.cc.ukans.edu)
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 22:29:16 -0500

On Fri, 10 Feb 1995, Michael Sattler wrote:

> >>abysmal. We got nothing intelligible thru it.
> >
> >Tried it the second I heard about (today), too, and I thought it worked
> >*great*.
>
> Really? Hmmmm, I'll pull down the current demo version and try again.

NetPhone seems to behave quite well, even through a 14.4k SLIP connection
(well, I tested it with PPP)... however, because it is a VAT client, and
Reflector 3.0b3 has a little trouble with VAT senders, it does kinda bury
other signals when you use it to send to a CU-SeeMe reflector. But
you can use it to tune in and listen to KJHK's 24 hour reflector
(129.237.117.95)... and what's more, YOU CAN LAUNCH IT WITH A SET!

This means you can define a MIME type on your WWW server and actually
have it launch NetPhone as a viewer by taking a link within Netscape.
We did so on our WWW server, and as a result you can automatically launch
Netphone from the KJHK home page and tune into KJHK just by taking a
link. If you have Netscape, and Netphone, give it a try.

http://www.cc.ukans.edu/~kjhknet

If Netscape is not your WWW client of choice, just assign Netphone as the
viewer for the "application/phone" MIME type for whatever client you are
using.

And what's this about a Windows version of Netphone?
Rob Burcham - BS, Computer Science
University of Kansas "He's nuts! Somebody grab him!"
Department of Special Education
burchamr@lark.cc.ukans.edu
http://www.cc.ukans.edu/~burcham/index.html