Re: PPP vs. SLIP

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Mon, 13 Feb 1995 01:31:03 -0500

At 23:29 2/11/95, Collins,Richard;ContStd; wrote:
>PPP allows multiple protocols routed and has better error checking but
>there's an overhead cost for this (10%???). Slip is less reliable but
>theoritically faster because it has less to do.

An Apple engineer who helped do MacTCP told me the number is closer to five
per cent. I would have phrased your second statement backwards: SLIP is
faster because it has less to do but is theoretically less reliable. My
experience is that PPP is slightly easier to set up, but suffers from just
as many drop-outs, disconnects, etc., as does SLIP. For the record, I use
SLIP (InterCon's InterSLIP from ftp.intercon.com)

You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in |
a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk |
and did the clue mating dance. - Edward Flaherty |