Re: NetPhone announced

Jonathan Winter (jwinter@pacificrim.net)
Tue, 14 Feb 1995 23:12:11 -0500

> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 16:59:01 -0500
> Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
> From: Michael Sattler <msattler@jungle.com>
> To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
> Subject: Re: NetPhone announced
>
> At 03:18 2/10/95, Ben Anderson Ben Anderson wrote:
> >

> John Gehlken and I tried NetPhone the moment we heard about it.
> Over 14.4 kbps modems (Powerbook to PowerMac) through the *same*
> Internet provider a few miles away it's performance was, how should I
> delicately say this, abysmal. We got nothing intelligible thru it.
> Someday we may try it with two stripped Macs (only MacTCP, no other
> INITs). If anyone has better experiences please let me know.

When Net Phone was anounced I tried it out between myself and a local on the
same network provider. We had better results. Very good sound... somwhat like
a slightly detuned AM radio, but quite acceptable. We used a 14400 ppp
connection. With a 28800 the sound improved to very good. I have not used it
internationally, but have ordered the product and will report.
Jonathan