RE: Error starting CUSeeMe

Dan Jones - Information Access Center (djones@iacnet.com)
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 10:49:30 -0500

Pap/All

Thanks for the tips - I've had mixed results so far.(Sorry I took a
while to get back on this. I've been off the list for a few days.

I loaded CUSEEME at home (48x 33, 4meg) and it loaded first time (I
dial into my work net). The only difference is at home I'm running
Chameleon without their ODI drivers and at work I'm using the ODI
drivers. I can't seem to conenct to anything from home, though -
keeps giving me a "host not responded" or some such when I pull one
of the reflector sites off the menu. Hmmm. I can PING those sites,
though.

At work (which is where I'm most likely to use it since I don't have
to deal with a dialup link) I'm still running into the gethostname
failed msg. I'm in the DNS, I have the hosts file in the netmanag
directory. All I can think of (which I may do anyway) is get off
the ODI drivers and get back to Winsock and LWP/Dos.

I've checked the firewalls - nothing's in the way of outbound UDP
for port 7648. In fact, the boss is running this on his Mac no
problems. Hmmm...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Dan Jones

> Date: Thu, 09 Feb 1995 23:50:07 -0800 (PST)
> From: pap@tiac.net
> Subject: RE: Error starting CUSeeMe
> To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu, djones@iacnet.com

> If the hosts file(s) (should only need /netmanage one) reflects the address of YOUR
> machine at the domain, then you may be trying to work through a firewall that
> interferes with UDP. Not sure how a proxy server would work here. Anyone?
>
> Regards,
>
> pap :>)
>
> Dan Jones wrote:
> >

> >Hi All
> >
> > I'm a BRAND NEW user - who just tried to download and run
> CUSEEME.
> >I've read the FAQ, and Ic an't find what I'm doing wrong.
> >
> > When I start CUSEEME (Windows) it gives me an error message:
> >
> > Gethostname() failed (11004)
> >
> > and aborts CUSEEME.
> >
> > Is this the "Windows needs a host name defined" error the Help file
> >mentions? I have a HOSTS file and ip address and host name in my
> >c:\ODI directory (I'm runing Netmanage's Chameleon over their NMODI
> >drivers). I have a HOSTS file in ODI, Netmanage, Windows,
> >windows/system - nothing seems to work.
> >
> > Anybody have any ideas? I'd LOVE to start using this thing!

|Dan Jones | Information Access Center|
|dan_jones@iacnet.com | Communications Engineer|
| All right, we'll call it a draw! |