Re: QuickCam and the Web

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 17:31:25 -0800

At 10:31 2/22/95, Paul Rothrock wrote:
>Do any of you folks know how to put a repeating timer on the QuickCam?
>I'd like to have it take a picture(either as a PICT to disk or the the
>Clipboard) every minute or so. Last I knew, QuickPICT wasn't scriptable.

The following arrived from a non-CU-SeeMe mailing list. It'll go onto my
FAQ pages as I have time. Enjoy.

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 14:03 MST
From: tom farrell <TFARRELL@BOOTES.UNM.EDU>
Subject: Re: 2 Questions: Scriptable QuickCam & Text Editor

hi...
Pojoaque Cam at http://www.pvs.k12.nm.us/ is up and running. Very Slowly.
On an LC II that's doing everything else. Someone donate a PPC? :-]

I should have the camera on a second machine, but I have no extra
machines (I'm supposed to let the students use them... can you believe
it !!). If it were on a second machine, I could set it up in real-time
(take a picture when you visit) and allow brightness-control. I did set
up brightness control, but it ran EXTREMELY slowly, due to the
non-scriptable nature of QuickPict. They do promise scripting soon.

Every 4 minutes between 8 am and 5 pm (time via Lawrence D'Oliveiro's
date calculation OSAX, freeware), the QuickPict application is brought
to the front (it does respond to "activate") and is sent "command-T"
(by JE Davis' AutoType OSAX, shareware). The picture on the clipboard
is then saved to disk under the name cam.gif (by Yves Piguet's
clip2gif, freeware). Each gif file simply overwrites the last, using the
same name... I thought I might have trouble doing it so simply (not
renaming, deleting, etc.), but not so far. The page to which one goes,
as a visitor, simply has a link to that filename... the page doesn't
change, the gif file does.

Notice that I didn't have to do any of the hard stuff myself...
The scripting community made it easy for me.

tom farrell <thf@pvs.k12.nm.us>

Yes, it's true: a friend of mine's computer was attacked by Mitnick. |