Re: SLIP & PPP Questions

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 20:19:22 -0800

At 11:10 2/21/95, jmorris@cbis.ece.drexel.edu wrote:

> I've been living in a would of appletalk and ethernet LAN/WAN
>access an know little about SLIP and PPP. We use ARA to connect remotely
>(14.4k). Where can I find out more about SLIP/PPP and how it might
>augment(?) or replace our current connection scheme (for using CUSM
>remotely of course).

Short answer: CU-SeeMe over a 14.4 or 28.8 modem isn't worth reading the
documentation.

SLIP (Serial Line Internet Protocol) and PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) are
two methods of extending TCP/IP to dial-up machines. PPP is easier to
configure, and has the ability to host multiple protocols at the same time,
but carries about five per cent less data. If you squint, they're mostly
the same.

Where to find out more: get Adam Engst's "Internet Starter Kit for
{Macintosh,Windows}" at your local bookstore.

Yes, it's true: a friend of mine's computer was attacked by Mitnick. |