Re: reflect / refmon question

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Thu, 01 Feb 1996 00:17:22 -0600

>Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 14:15:54 -0100
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: Christopher Sima <sima@isis.wu-wien.ac.at>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: reflect / refmon question
>
>Hi all,
>
>i'm running reflect 4.00B3 on my site (chris.iaea.or.at) under linux 1.2.13.
>it seems rather logical to me that i can manage (and terminate) my own
>reflect with the refmon -s chris.iaea.or.at term command.
>
>installing refmon on a differnet machine and connecting to mine will give
>the originator the possibility of terminating mit reflect proccess.
>
>i don't think that this is such a good idea. maybe there's something behind
>that feature/bug i don't get yet ?!
>
>chris

>Christopher Sima (sima@www.iaea.or.at)
>International Atomic Energy Agency / United Nations
>Department of Nuclear Energy / NESI / CULS
>P.O. Box 200, A-1400 Vienna
>Voice: +43 (1) 2060 / 26205 (9 - 17 h CET)

Ah, there's a command that you put in the reflector configuration file that
says:

refmon 128.0.10.93

This tells your reflector to respond ONLY to the refmon running from that IP
address. I'm not sure, but you might even be able to use the bitwise format of:

refmon 128.0.10.0:8

to allow any 128.0.10.xxx IP to be used (this format CAN be used on ADMIT
and DENY commands). This is a security feature, and it's in the docs.

ALL REFLECTOR OPERATORS:Be sure that you add the refmon command to keep
idiots like me from accidentally downing your reflector.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe
http://www.realtime.com/~wcw/