Re:Re: hosts

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sun, 04 Feb 1996 17:32:25 -0600

>Date: Mon, 05 Feb 1996 07:21:28 +1000
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: John Osborne <josborne@magna.com.au>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Re: hosts
>
>Bryan Lin wrote:
>>
>> I am having trouble connecting to another user with Cuseeme. I got the
>> hosts error message. I am a dial up internet user, using win95 with
>> 28800 modem. I would like to know if I have to create a "hosts" file,
>> and where should I have this file located. Also, do I need a fixed IP
>> address to use Cuseeme? what if I got different IP address every time I
>> log on.
>> Please help me to solve the problem. Thanks a lot..
>>
>> Bryan LinBryan..
>In your dial-up connection properties for your internet provider,
>try checkmarking the "Log onto Network" box.
>You do not need a "hosts" file nor a fixed IP address.
>If, for some reason, you do want to create a "hosts" file,
>put it in the C:\WINDOWS directory. There will already be a file
>in there called hosts.sam which is a "sample" hosts file created by
>Windows 95, but I don't need a hosts file, so you shouldn't either.
>John

Not true, John. My provider has registered a DNS name for each of their IP
addresses, and yours probably has, too, but not all ISPs do this. If they
don't do this, then the user will definitely need a HOSTS file. Check my

Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe
http://www.realtime.com/~wcw/