Re: hosts

John Osborne (josborne@magna.com.au)
Mon, 05 Feb 1996 19:35:09 +1000

Bill...
Nope...what you say is incorrect.
I regularly use 4 different Internet providers, only one of which
(the one I am using to reply to you on) has me on a fixed IP address.
The other 3 are dynamic IP addresses (in particular ibm.net and
msn.com).
Bryan asked if *he* needed a fixed IP address from his provider in
order to use CUSEEME, or a "hosts" file. The answer to those questions
is no, and no, you don't need either. I have no "host" file on any of
my machines, and dynamic IP addresses on three providers that work just
fine (sending and receiving) with CUSEEME. Please recheck your facts.
And, incidentally, it is not a PPP/SLIP issue either in case anyone is
curious, as my providers are mixed on those also. IBM.NET only supports
SLIP (dynamic IP), MSN.COM is modified PPP (Dynamic PPP after a
fashion), MagnaData is PPP on a fixed IP address, and a local provider
I'm trialling which is PPP with dynamic IP address.
No problems, and no hosts file.
This is operating under Windows '95 using their TCP/IP stack.
John