Re: sound or no sound?

Sue Fawcett (sfawce@fiat.gslis.utexas.edu)
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:42:14 -0600 (CST)

White Pine certainly is promoting the new beta release of CU-SeeMe for
Windows and downplaying the availability of CU-SeeMe for the Macintosh -
the only mention of the existence of the Macintosh version is a
one-sentence link at the bottom of White Pine's home page. This is
ironic, in view of the fact that CU-SeeMe was originally developed for
the Macintosh environment.

Ever since the foreboding announcements of the possibility of Apple
Computer's demise, it seems I've witnessed more emphasis on Windows
products. Since the idea of the disappearance of the Macintosh is
premature at best, are we Macintosh enthusiasts relegated to begging for
inclusion of Macintosh-platform products? I still say, God forbid the
limitation to a single product/platform, particularly Windows.

On Thu, 8 Feb 1996 Jim.Leverso@gsa.gov wrote:

> We have been using both Cornell versions of CUSeeMe and the beta from
> White Pine for the last few weeks, with great success. Yesterday, we
> particiated in a video conference, complete with audio from our
> offices in Boston to an elementary school in Minnesota. Video and
> audio quality was quite satisfactory, especially for a FREE piece of
> software. One of the first things we did however, was to completely
> read all txt and readme files that we could get our hands on. This
> explained much about how to "tweak" the app for best performance. We
> are using Pentium PCs with 16mb RAM and Sound Blaster 16 cards, with a
> Connectix QuickCam. We are very pleased with the product, think that
> the developers have done packaged a great deal in a very lightweight
> product. For those of us with shrinking budgets, this is great stuff!
>
> Jim LeVerso
> U.S. General Services Admin
> Boston, Ma.

> Subject: sound or no sound?
> Author: rzotsman@qtm.net at INTERNET
> Date: 2/8/96 1:22 PM
>

> everyone I've spoke to or read in these measages have said that they can not
> get sound
> with cuseeme. I've tried the new ver. ...I have a 486dx 4x100, 16meg ram, a
> good sound card, a 28.8 sportster modem. I believe this program needs a lot
> of woek or call it a
> lemon. when I subscribed to this mess, I THOUGHT I'D SEE SOME ANSWERS TO THE
> SOUND PROBLEM .I SEE NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS POSTED, NO ANSWERS.about sound
> that is. before I
> unsubscribe to all this,I thought i'd ask all the good people out there,can
> any of you get sound. if so , HOW? thanks!!

Sue Fawcett
B.A., M.L.I.S.
Email: sfawce@fiat.gslis.utexas.edu
State of Texas Law Librarians' Home Page:
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~suefaw/