White Pine beta (was Re: sound or no sound?)

David Fridley (dgfasn@dante.lbl.gov)
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:57:30 -0800 (PST)

Sue, it's a very simple consideration: White Pine is a commercial
for-profit company and the Wintel platform is 80% of the market compared
to 8% for Macintosh; I'm sure the Mac platform will come, but it doesn't
matter as much to their bottom line. Cornell is a not-for-profit group
that recognized the original superiority of the Apple platform for what
they wanted to accomplish. That White Pine is promoting the Windows
version heavily is thus natural and rational, especially since they are
now angling for the business LAN market as well. I'm sure if you were in
charge of their R&D budget and responsible for a bottom line, you'd have
made the same choice.